Gurnee Park District is in the process of developing the district’s strategic plan which will define goals and objectives to be achieved from 2017-2021. Like the previous plan, input from the park board, staff and community is the most critical part in the identification and development of the new strategic plan initiatives.
Goals of the strategic planning process:
- Continue a culture of a strong collaboration between the Community, Board and the district’s employees to determine what issues/challenges/initiatives must be addressed to help the district continue to be successful over the next 5 years.
- Provide the Executive Director and her talented team of employees with direction, initiatives and objectives/task/timelines.
- Focus on what changes are needed to further improve services to our residents.
The strategic planning process will consist of the following activities:
- Gathering information through community and stakeholder feedback
- Identifying critical issues and challenges that will be transformed into strategic initiatives
- Developing, researching and distilling proposed strategic initiatives into 5-10 critical, future oriented initiatives
- Documenting a proposed strategic plan around these critical, future oriented initiatives
- Reviewing, editing and finalizing the strategic plan
- Securing approval of the strategic plan by the Gurnee Park District Board of Commissioners is anticipated to take place at their January Park Board meeting.
The first phase of the planning process focuses on identifying strategic initiatives that the park district must undertake to ensure the continued success of the Gurnee Park District at the highest level. Key park district stakeholders input will be the driving force behind this phase.
In April 2016, an Executive Steering Committee (ESC) was formed. This committee consisted of employees from throughout the district. ESC, Board and community meetings are currently being held to identify strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats facing the district and to define the major issues facing the district over the next five years. All the meetings will provide important feedback that will help the Board and staff identify future oriented initiatives for the Gurnee Park District over the next 5 years. We anticipate the new plan will be ready for approval at the January 2017 Park Board meeting. Strategic planning progress updates will take place at Park Board meetings and on this webpage.