Betty Russell Park Hockey Rink CLOSED
Betty Russell Park Recreational Rink CLOSED
Hunt Club Park Recreational Rink CLOSED
Viking Park Recreational Rink CLOSED
Christine Thompson Sled Hill CLOSED
The following criteria must be met in order to develop skateable ice including 5-7 inches of ground frost, average temperatures of 20 degrees Fahrenheit or colder for five consecutive days, a minimum of five days to spray and freeze to make ice and periodic sweeping and resurfacing as needed depending on weather conditions. For ice rink conditions, please call Gurnee Park District 847-623-7788.
A flag system is used at Betty Russell Park to alert skaters of the ice rink conditions. There are flags at each rink as follows.
Green Flag at Park = Open
Red Flag at Park = Closed
Betty Russell Community Park offers a figure skating and hockey rink, a warming shelter and restrooms. The park is located in the Pembrook area at 5300 Pinewood Rd., Gurnee (at the corner of Pinewood and Lawson Boulevard).
Christine Thompson Community Park offers a sled hill located at the corner of Woodlawn and Belle Plaine Avenues.
Hunt Club Park offers an ice skating rink and access to restrooms located inside the Community Center, 920 N. Hunt Club Rd., Gurnee.
Viking Park offers an ice skating rink and access to restrooms located at 4374 Old Grand Ave., Gurnee
All ice skating rinks are unsupervised and for recreational use.
- Use sled hill at your own risk.
- Sledding is a hazardous activity and presents substantial risk of injury.
- Users assume full responsibility for determining if the conditions are safe for sledding.
- Parents/guardians are responsible for children - no supervision is provided.
- Use caution when sledding and be considerate of others.
- Sled down the hill only when it is clear of other sledders.
- Sledding is permitted only in designated areas.
- No jumps, ramps or similar devices are permitted on the hill.
- Walk to the top of the sled hill along the fenced sides of the hill to avoid collisions.
- No snowboarding.
- Sled hill closes at dusk.